Five years ago with nervousness and excitement I hit ‘go live’ on my website. I’d been talking, thinking, dreaming about starting my own business for years. So I started. I took the opportunity whilst on 6 months maternity leave with my second son to give it a go. It was now or never. So I did.
- I decided on a name
- I found a graphic designer and pitched an idea for a logo and website
- I found a web developer. We developed a website!
- I registered my biz name, a domain name. Got an ABN.
- I set up a Facebook page, an email account, an Instagram account.
- I scoured kids magazines for gorgeous labels
- I went to markets to find local brands (hello Milk and Masuki)
- I made cold contact with designer, suppliers, distributors and agencies to stock their products. And they agreed!
So I had a website and stock, now what? How was I going to ever going to get BabyDonkie out there?
- I asked family and friends to like my page and share with their friends
- I listed on free kids related directories
- I reached out to bloggers to promote my business
- I did giveaways on Facebook and Instagram
- I launched with 2 of the largest kids advertisers in Australia
- I collaborated with influencers before being an influencer was a thing
- I sold at markets even though I only had a handful of customers
- I engaged with a stylist/photographer to style my products and create beautiful content different to other retailers
Why am I sharing all this? Because small biz goals aren’t achieved overnight and mistakes are made along the way. Because there may be other biz mummas out there wanting to give it a go. Because, hey, 5 years on and I’m still here and loving what I do! BabyDonkie is one of my biggest career achievements. I wouldn’t be able to do it without the support of my family, the wonderful loyal customers, talented brands and amazing small businesses I’ve worked with. THANK YOU!
So what’s next? This year I’ve been working with some amazing business coaches supported by an equally amazing community of biz mums. I’ve invested in my learning and I’m learning so much. To make BabyDonkie better for me and for YOU.
So how does one celebrate 5 years? With a gorgeous birthday shoot by Concrete and Honey, lots of giveaways and a storewide sale! Follow us on Instagram and Facebook to join in on the fun. And don’t forget to sign up to get early access to 25% off storewide!